The most inspiring session for me during Adobe Max 2021 was this one:
Dennis Lim gave a few poignant points that resonated with me:
- Don’t boil the ocean
- Basically do what you can, focus on what matters, don’t try to fix everything
- Only do work impossible not to love
- This one doesn’t seem realistic but it pairs well with the above point. Don’t put your effort into projects that are dead ends, just get it done and pour your heart into the things that matter.
- Build it and they will come
- If you start making great work, one project at a time, people will come to you for more of the same work.
- It’s a marathon, not a sprint—outlast them
- Stick to your creative vision and see it through. Take feedback to address issues but don’t compromise on the creative vision.
Don’t follow your passionFollowing your passion is a recipe for burnout. I love design, but sometimes it’s tedious, or painful, and hard. Showing up and persevering are…
PoliticsI recently re-read The Five Dysfunctions of a Team and this time, this quote stood out: “Politics is when people choose their words and…
We’re not familyHarvard Business Review: ‘The Toxic Effects of Branding Your Workplace a “Family”’ by Joshua A. Luna In short: calling your workplace a family ineffectively…
Dribbble: 2021 Design Industry ReportDribbble 2021 Design Industry Report Unfortunately, this report doesn’t share as much data as previous reports. It’s a helpful snapshot of the industry but…
Dead concept: GreenhouseHere is a concept I developed for an internal brand within the Alliance. They didn’t pick it but I liked the idea.…
2021 in ReviewRunning: 278.4 km 57 runs 7’24″km pace 34:19:46 time Podcasts: Throughline Science Friday Hidden Brain Planet Money This American Life Code Switch Akimbo Parks…